Golden Split Pea Soup
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 7 cups water
- 2 cups peeled & cubed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup peeled & cubed apples
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ¾ cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon tamari or liquid aminos
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
Sautee onions in olive oil.
Add spices & ginger and cook for another minute.
Add split peas, water, sweet potatoes, apples and chili powder.
Bring to a boil & simmer for 40 minutes.
Combine chopped tomatoes with lime juice and tamari.
Allow tomatoes to marinade while soup simmers.
Add tomatoes to soup.
Puree soup in batches.
Serve with chopped cilantro.
Here's to staying warm,